Madison County View

Thursday, September 11, 2008

7/14/08 Goodbye VA, WV & MD


Hello from Maryland...in 2 days I'll be in Pennsylvania. I am officially out of the very long state of Virginia (1/4 of whole trail). This week in West Virginia I walked over mile 1,000 and into Harper's Ferry the 'psychological half way point' of the trail and home of the AT headquarters. We got our picture taken and are officially in the 2008 yearbook for AT thru-hike attempts.

In 4 days, we will be at the official half way point in Pennsylvania at mile 1088. WV and MD have few miles and went really quickly. If only all states went that fast. There have been a lot of mental rewards in the last few days building up to the halfway point. Its always good for the ole morale to really feel like you're accomplishing something. Especially after leaving Harper's Ferry and a guy actually asking me 'So, are you the last person hiking the trail?' and Kris says 'yep, not a single person is behind us.' haha


Life on the trail is going great. Since my last email, I finished Shenandoah National Park and spent my days eating fresh blackberries and raspberries growing along the trail. I got off in Winchester (my hometown) and spent the 4th holiday with some of my favorite people in the whole world. I stayed with my mom and got to see 2 of my brothers, sister in law, my niece and finally met my new nephew. He's pretty much perfect. Ryan and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary and look forward to one day living in the same zip code again. During my time off, I had to get another pair of insoles and am officially on my 3rd pair of shoes. Good times. I owe my feet big time after this journey.

Well, New England is calling for me. I must get back to the trail.

No comments: