Madison County View

Thursday, September 11, 2008

5/27/08 500 miles down....a lot to go

hello from Virginia! Sorry it has been so long since i have written, but I am alive, safe and doing well.
Three states (GA, TN & NC) are done and as of yesterday i walked my 500th mile. Did you know that the average American only walks about 3 miles a month? So, don't worry, i walk about 15 a day so I'm picking up your slack....
Ryan hiked with me after Roan Mountain, NC for about a week (thanks again to the Hygons for bringing Ryan and foot long Subway subs and cold sodas to the top). After climbing Roan, I can see why Ryan met us at the top. We stayed the night in the highest shelter on the AT and the next day we hiked over one of my favorite hikes so far, the Roan Highlands. In one day we saw a range of crazy weather on top of the natural balds. We hiked against crazy strong winds, thunder, rain storms, hail and then sunshine and 2 rainbows. It was cool to see Grandfather and Sugar Mountain in the distance. Ryan worked at Sugar this winter and Grandfather Mountain was the back drop for where we lived in Seven Devils. Jay, Cindy and Dan I waved at Beech mountain in the distance and definitely thought about you guys up there :)
I definitely have my 'hiker legs' but am still working on my hiker feet. Two weeks ago i had to get off the trail about 60 miles before Damascus,VA due to extreme pain in my feet. I always knew i had flat feet, but all these miles made them too painful to walk on. Luckily, Trail Days, the largest trail festival in the world was going on and i was able to see a free podiatrist and got custom insoles made (definitely not free). Hopefully, 5 days off and the right support will correct the problem and stop any future pain. Everyone keeps saying 'it's just walking,' but when your feet hurt.....its not that easy.
After taking a few days off and enjoying Damascus (known as the friendliest town on the AT) we got a ride back to where we got off and hiked the 60 miles BACK to Damascus. It felt good to officially walk over the VA line and I have started the long haul across the state (500 miles and 1/4 of the whole trail). I am taking a zero day today (no hiking) in the tiny town of Troutdale, VA and staying in a free hostel behind a Baptist church. The town has under 200 people and pretty much just has a post office, a diner and the church. Visiting some of these smaller towns is one of my favorite parts of this journey because I find myself in places I may never have gone to otherwise.
In a little over a week I will be in Pearisburg, VA and getting off the trail to for a much needed Blacksburg visit.
Being in Virginia feels like home and I cant wait to be in Winchester to meet my new nephew (who was born a day before i left). I'm walking as fast as i can, Jacob, I will meet you soon! Mom, I'll see you in about a month, save me a seat at our salad bar :)
Life on the trail is going great. They say its 20% physical and 80% mental once you get into your hiking groove. The question arises 'Can you get up and hike again today? and the next day? and the next?' So far the answer is still yes.
I miss everyone and think about you all the time. Think about me often....Ill be somewhere in the woods.

No comments: