Madison County View

Thursday, September 11, 2008

4/14/08 Take that first 100 miles!

"The AT. The most fun you'll ever have. Interrupted by long walks in the woods"

Hello, from the Bryson City, NC library. I hiked down to the Nantahala River yesterday and am resting my feet for the day. Since my last email I have completed my first 135 miles. (only about 2000 left to go). We had some lovely weather for a few days, but were back to cold as we begin the approach on the Smokies in a few days.

Life on the trail is getting into its routine. Not that it feels routine because I have yet to set my tent up in the same place twice. And hanging your food every night because you are in bear and wild boar country takes a little getting used to....

After slowing building our mileage and getting through rugged Georgia, Kris and I are up to 13+ mile days as we head into the national park. We haven't slept in a shelter yet, but often camp near them for social reasons (seeing friends and cooking meals).

In case any of you are wondering, we are definitely NOT starving out here. After 3+ months of dehydrating food and vacuum sealing home made meals, all the hard work has been paying off. Kris and I have built up a reputation for having 'the best food'. We have only met one other person who prepared their own food before hand, where most people restock every week in town. When in town we can buy fresh fruits, cheese etc., if we want, but dont really have to buy any supplies.

One great thing about this experience is the people you meet. Thousands of people from all walks of life attempt this trail every year, only about 10% complete the entire thru-hike and about 2% of that are women. I have hiked with doctors, lawyers, engineers, recent grads, preachers, lost souls and wandering hearts. Truly an experience to cross the paths of so many interesting people on this journey.

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods....

No comments: