Madison County View

Thursday, September 11, 2008

6/09/08 Bring on the Heat.


Hello from Virginia Tech! Laurel said I don't write enough, so I thought I would write a quick hello from Blacksburg, VA. (the trail runs about 20 miles west of town) It felt good to spend a few days relaxing in one of my favorite places I have lived. Its amazing how cheap of a date you are after only drinking water from creeks! I definitely don't have the same tolerance I had when I lived here as an undergrad ;)

The hiking life is going good. Hot but good. Sometime last week, mother nature decided it simply just wasn't hot enough and there were not enough biting insects out and something had to be done about it. It seemed like overnight the temperatures starting reaching the lower 90s and the bugs brought their appetites. I counted 18 mosquito bites on one leg. I am now the proud owner of the strongest bug spray I think I am legally allowed to put on my body. Unfortunately, not much can be done about the heat. Its Sweatfest 2008 from here on out,folks. Last week, Kris and hiked most of the morning, took an hour and half long nap in the middle of the day and hiked until dinner. I think I could get used to the new schedule. I'm not really one to get up super early, but its that time of year when you cant sleep late in a tent even if you wanted to.

Tomorrow I head back to the trail and hike a section I have really been looking forward to. MacAfee's Knob, Tinker Cliffs and Dragon's Tooth. All part of the Virginia 'Triple Crown.' Three completely different rock formations, but within a few days hike of each other. Then its about 2 weeks to Charlottesville. Spike, here I come! And then home to Winchester. Currently, I am 624 miles down out of 2, 175. Next week I will be halfway done VA and in less than a month, I will be done half of the entire trail! Where are all those miles going?

Well, its getting late. I better go enjoy my last night in cotton sheets and in a house with running water and flushing toilets. Ahhhh....the simple things in life.

No comments: