Madison County View

Thursday, September 11, 2008

6/27/08 Country roads take me home...

Hello from mile 850! I am currently visiting friends in Charlottesville, VA. Tomorrow, we start Shenandoah National Park and will hike 100 miles over the next 6 days and cross over Skyline Drive 28 times. If you plan it just right, a hiker can have a cold drink and a flushing toilet every day at the many restaurants and gift shops along the way. What a thought. I will then be getting off the trail in Front Royal, VA just south of my hometown of Winchester. I can't wait to be home for a few days! I will be getting off the trail at mile 961 and will be halfway done the trail 100 miles later. So close.

Anyone who said Virginia is 'boring' or 'flat' must have never hiked all of it. There is actually a term 'Virginia Blues' because hikers spend over 500 miles in one state and feel bored. Being from Virginia, I've loved it. Even though I had 2,000+ feet climbs every day this week and an almost 3,000 foot climb before breakfast two days ago. I still love Virginia.

So, 'trail magic' comes in all forms. Sometimes its a cooler full of cold drinks by a road side, a much needed ride into town or an impromptu BBQ at a gap between two mountains. The other day, I actually found 6 unopened Coca-colas left in a cold creek. Delicious. This week, after a hot morning of hiking, we were met at the trail head by a guy named 'The Runner' with cold Mtn. Dews and Oreos. A large group of us were sitting around relaxing in the shade when the guy eventually tells us that he set the record for the AT in 1991 (that's right 54 days and 9 hours!!!). His record has since been beat, but he still holds the record for the Pacific Crest Trail that runs along America's west coast. He is an ultra-marathon runner who said he 'camped a few times while hiking the trail.' I don't know if running a 50+ miles everyday is really considered hiking. It was cool to talk to him...until he starts asking us how long we had been hiking the trail.

The conversation went like this. My response was 'almost 3 months.' His response was 'Oh, you're never going to make it.' 'What?' 'Do the math, you're never going to make it.' Wow. Why would you do trail magic and then be negative to everyone?

So, I respond with 'My grandpa did the math. 15.5 miles a day with every 8th day off and Ill be up at Katahdin, no problem. We started doing 7 miles a day and now we are up to 19+ a day.' My friend then chimes in 'You don't think I'm going to make it....why should I believe you broke some record?' Burn.

And besides, my mom said I was going to make it. I think her actual words were 'of course you'll make it. It's you.' So, there.

Ain't nobody gonna bring me down....

No comments: